An Employee Who Engages in Harmful Gossip (Managing Essentials™ Series)
Addressing Gossip in the Workplace
New Just-In-Time Performance Management Tool! You have an employee who engages in harmful gossip on the job. What do you do? There are four steps you can take to help the situation while clearly setting organizational expectations.
Learning Path & Details
Suggested Industry Usage
- Developing Core Leadership Skills
- Leading and Managing for Peak Performance
- Understand how to effectively work with an employee who gossips or participants in workplace gossip.
- Using a step-by-step process to successfully engage and communicate the issue at hand.
- Integrated Video
- Interactions and Activities
- Downloadable Job Aid
- Downloadable FAQ
Training Files (1)
State the problem using specific examples of how and why this kind of behavior is harmful. Ask the employee to give their viewpoint and listen. Get agreement that problems have resulted from the gossip. Tell the employee clearly that you expect no more negative comments or gossip about others. This includes innuendoes either spoken or inferred by a facial expression, body language, or tone of voice. Then get a commitment that the behavior will stop.