When it comes to an armed intruder/active shooter, preparedness is a key part of the equation.
Preventing an armed intruder should revolve around a comprehensive strategy.
Comprehensive preparedness includes:
- Training (and reinforcement)
- Practice and drills
- Understanding the behavioral signs of an attacker
- Threat assessment
- Policy development
- Workplace violence program development & implementation
- Proactive access control & visitor management protocols
What does preparedness achieve?
- Immediate and appropriate response
- Quickly mitigate continued commission of crime
- Deterrence (in some circumstances)
- Possible recognition of the intentions PRIOR to commission of act
- Reduces increased injury or loss of life
- Reduces long term effects of the incident to those involved
Preparation DOES NOT equal prevention but it does allow more identifiable opportunities to de-escalate risk and/or mitigate the effects of an armed intruder/active shooter event at the earliest opportunity if it does occur.