TrainingBriefs® Workplace Gossip & Rumors
Understanding the Impacts of Gossip & Rumors
So why do people start gossip and spread rumors? Much of it has to do with our need to make sense of what's happening around us. To understand what's going on, people talk to one-another. And, together, they fill in the holes in the story with a little bit of fact – and a lot of guesswork or subtle innuendo.
Learning Paths & Details
- Understanding Diversity
- Fostering Inclusion, Equity & Belonging
- Professional and Compliant Behavior
- What is the impact of gossip and rumors.
- How to create an inclusive workplace that discourages gossip and malicious rumors.
- Audible Narration
- Integrated Video
- Interactions and Activities
Training Files (1)
Gossip, and rumors stated as facts, can impair relationships, damage reputations and perpetuate stereotypes. Based on the frequency and impact, consequences can include poor morale, turnover, bullying, hostile environment or illegal harassment.